Tuesday, September 25, 2007


I have gained a huge amount of respect for nursing. What, you may ask does nursing have to do with art? This is an art blog you know. Well, my dad is an artist and a nurse. Since my time spent in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (8hrs a day for two weeks) I have been thinking a lot about the links between health care and art. I have a lighting fast reaction to anyone who finds themselves in pain, the reaction is to quickly pass out. For this reason I have had to forgo my career in medicine. At times an artist will be fooled into thinking that they are doing something noble by making art, but spend any amount of time in a hospital, around nurses, and you will become quickly humbled. Our Hospital has some of the worst art around, prints of ballerinas with gel slathered around to make it look like paint. The art is easy to overlook because the staff is just so unbelievable.