Wednesday, April 12, 2006


OK. let's talk a little bit about art. I've been thinking about art making and art selling and where the two meet. I think that if I were to make the work I really wanted to, without thinking in terms of marketability, I wouldn't necessarily be making "different" work but I would be experimenting more. As it is, I have a full time job which pays the bills, and every night I go to my studio and paint. I would love to be able to go to my studio all day, but so far that is not in the cards. I have to work eight hours a day so that I can paint for three. I don't have the guts to suffer as Van Gough did, begging my brother for bread. When I have ideas about making something that is WAY off the path from where my "career" is going, I admit I kind of nudge them aside. The market is a factor in the work I choose to make, but it is a compromise. I am not out painting crying puppies or anything; I have tried to strike some sort of middle ground. I won't bounce around as much if you start showing my work. Its one thing to be making art up in our ivory tower. It is quite another to cast our pearls to the wolves.