Wednesday, April 05, 2006


There is a great divide beginning; I can feel it coming. The divide is between my collage work and the paintings which I am deep into currently. The collage work is gone, out of site, at a show in St Louis. I made another collage this weekend and it turned out as nice as the rest, but the paintings I am deep into are speaking volumes. These two mediums sprung from the same source but are leading in two vastly different directions.

I am usually working in two directions. The tension increases as one side becomes resolved and pulls me off balance. I normally have an area I am exploring, pushing, experimenting in, and another area that is more resolved. My collage work is resolved, and the oil paintings are piquing my interest. This way of working can present a problem when approaching a gallery, because I have been known to show the work I am interested in rather than what I know is solid.