Saturday, May 06, 2006


Is My Work An Aquired Taste?
Last Friday I decided to torture myself by asking some close friends to critique one of my paintings. Unfortunately, they did exactly as I asked. I found that my skin is much thinner than I thought it was. I also got the information that a great opportunity to do a large commission fell through. All this has made me feel a little down about my work. Not really my work as much as how the work is received sometimes. I admit it, I want everyone to love every painting I make. Art can be very subjective. We make it the best we can and put it out there in hopes that others will see what we see. Next week I am going to spend a lot of time trying to convince gallery owners to take my work on. This is the part of being an artist that every artist hates. "Please love my work". Sometimes I wish I was a professional pool player; either you sink the ball or you don't, no grey areas.