Monday, June 05, 2006


I finished this painting and am a little reluctant to post an image because the photo I took of it is so bad, but it is the best I could do with my limited camera skills. The painting is 4ft by 5ft. I feel a liberation in working large because it allows me to dissolve into the image, which allows me to focus completely on paint and surface. I am really painting a non-objective piece because I worked out the image in collage before working it out on canvas. I have begun painting another large piece: a simplified waterfall. I am doing a little 3ft urban landscape and a boat floating in stylized water off a red dock. I love doing these simple playful scenes that act as a catalyst for complex paint application. This is where my hesitation comes into play, because the richest aspect of this painting, surface and paint application, is lost in the photo.