Saturday, October 20, 2007


In the past week I have spun myself into a tizzy thinking up ideas for different directions my work could take. This is what happens when I am between paintings. Sooo... I thought I would take a moment to clarify for myself just what I am doing in paint these days. I don't want to get lost in the muckery of Internet ideas...

I am using simple forms as a means to paint complex surfaces. Balance, design, and the grid are structures I use to build layers of paint surface. I have always be drawn to lines made unconsciously, you cannot fake that. I have noticed that slick, flashy, eye popping, software developed work is the order of the day. This kind of painting makes good printed matter, on the web or in art magazines, but sometimes suffers on the walls. I prefer work that is subtle easy on the eyes, and has a painted history which seeps out over time.

Sometimes its hard for me not to want to jump the rails, move in a whole new direction. What artist does not question their direction at times, for now I need to maintain course.