Thursday, July 06, 2006


I hate brushes. How, you might ask, can I be a painter and hate brushes? Well, I don't accually hate the brush, I just can't stand to clean them. I buy the cheapest ones I possibly can, (they cost $1), and use them only once, then I throw them away. My "good" brushes are in a jar of babyoil, face down, that's right face down. The hairs on my detailing brush now have a twist that looks like the hair atop the head of Shoneys Big Boy, a twist off to the right. I try to make a line on my painting with it and five lines appear.

Most of the work on my paintings is done with a palette knife. I have to finesse the tool in order to keep from getting that palette knife look. Brushes are for dainty fingers, swish, swish, curl. Give me a palette knife, slash, slice, stab. No cleaning involved.