Wednesday, October 11, 2006



Once in a long while we are lucky enough to come in contact with greatness. I am so glad that I decided to turn off HGTV and get my butt down to the Grey Eagle to see Damien Jurado. It was a small venue and a thin crowd, which added to my luck, because we were allowed to be close to the action. His music was like morphine, it brought me up and up, later that night, while on my way back down I was reminded why I am a painter and not a musician, music is too powerful. It gets me high and then drops me. Painting is stayed and controlled it has a steady pace which move me incrementally.

I have been thinking a lot about painting lately. I am not able to do any painting while remodeling the house, so I am left to just think about what I would be doing. I feel like I am at a small cross roads, I could pursue abstract work or more of the imagery I was doing just a few months ago. I have been a little torn on which rabbit trail to follow, but this morning I woke up thinking about my favorite artist, Martin Puryear. I am reminded of what I was doing back when I didn't care about selling work. I love design, abstract art just on the edge of something recognizable. Its tough to make work that is abstract in Asheville because most of those around me prefer realism, (which has to some extent pushed me in that direction). I think that it would be best for my work to make whatever comes most natural, buyer or no buyer.