Monday, July 24, 2006


The collage I've posted is a study for a larger painting which I finished tonight. I drove home from my studio slowly because I wanted time to come down for the intensity of a painting going well. A slow country drive in my old Ford was perfect for the wind-down. People who know me well can tell when I've been painting, because I turn into a complete zombie. It's really the only time when I am completely focused. Surely it's a form of meditation, because my hand could be grilling on a red hot burner and I wouldn't even notice. This form of attention is also a way for me to "center" myself - I know, I know, sounds hokie, but really if I miss this sort of direction for my brain, I will become a real pain to everyone around me. For a couple of weeks I have been lost or lazy and I started to wonder how I would ever be able to create anything again. I've been filling the void with TV, movies, food and internet which is a recipe for depression. Its nice to be back.