Thursday, July 27, 2006


What inspires you? I have been struggling with inspiration lately. Perhaps it's because I am so anxious to dig into that new house. I've designed oak cabinets, glass door knobs, split rail fencing, curtains, bathrooms, a garden, and a post and beam studio. I guess I move in cycles. Sometimes I am really focused on paintings, and ideas flow from my sketch-book like a river. Other times I want nothing more than to sand a piece of wood. I've been working on lots of small frames for collages and miniature oils. Lately, I have been thinking that inspiration is something an artist must actively seek. Some artists I know take pictures everywhere they go, others sketch all the time. I am always jotting down ideas on whatever is available, post-its mostly. In college I would carry around a pocket size sketch book that I drew in during lectures. I've let that way of working go but I think it deserves a resurrection.